Friday 17 June 2011

Shloer Summer Fruit Punch review


Since we were sent some bottles to review a couple of years ago (which we did here and here), Shloer has become the traditional Christmas drink here at The Madhouse for the kids and non-drinkers. The lovely delicate flavours and the fact that it's a healthier option than fizzy drinks go down just as well with the adults as the kids and, if you serve it in (plastic !) champagne flutes, it makes it seem extra special.

But who said Shloer should be reserved for Christmas ?! Their new limited edition has been designed with summer picnics, garden parties and barbecues in mind. Shloer explain : "Befitting of the grandest garden party, or simply enjoyed at a Sunday Social barbecue, Shloer’s Summer Fruit Punch is best served ‘dressed to impress’. Conjure up the typical tastes of summer: mint leaves, slices of orange and cucumber and fresh juicy strawberries, all served in a jug over ice – perfect for sharing."

Now, I don't know if you have the same reaction as me to that list but I instantly think "juicy zesty orange slices yummm .... sweet succulent strawberries hmmmmmm ... refreshing mint leaves ok .... cucumber ermmm maybe not ?!". I don't know what I'd think if someone served me a drink with a bit of cucumber bobbing about in it !

So when I read the label on the bottle and saw that cucmber featured in this new Shloer variety, I was slightly dubious. But I've loved all the other Shloer drinks so much that I was sure they wouldn't let me down this time. Well, I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. It tasted lovely and fresh and fruity but had a slightly strange, almost antiseptic, background taste that I wasn't keen on. Sophie, on the other hand, loved it and we happily finished off the bottle.


As you can see from the photo, we were just drinking it straight from the fridge so maybe we should have gone the extra mile and tarted it up a bit more with ice cubes and fruit (but maybe not cucumber - I'm still not overly convinced about that !).

It's still a great choice to offer for designated drivers and non-drinkers over the summer months, but I have to admit I prefer the other Shloer flavours. It's a limited edition so make sure you get in quick if you want to give it a try. I'd be interested to know what you think of it so let me know in the comments box if you try it !

There's a fab competition going on at the moment over at the Shloer facebook page so make sure you head over there to try your luck too.

star rating : 3.5/5

RRP : £2.29 for 75cl


Other reviews you may be interested in :


4 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased to read that you didn't enjoy it v much either...I was worried I was the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love schloer, this one doesnt sound that great though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL It's all down to personal taste - Sophie loved it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cucumber slightly reminds me of Pimms? Its not my favourite variety though by a long shot.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...