Tuesday 5 March 2013

Warrens Original Cornish Saffron Cake review


Having never heard of Saffron Cake or Warrens Bakery, I was intrigued to see what we'd make of the Original Cornish Saffron Cake that was tucked away in our breakfast hamper for National Breakfast Week. We received so many fresh baked items to mark the occasion that we had to freeze some of them but I'm pleased to say, this came out in perfect condition last week and was scoffed in record time !


I was amazed at the vast quantity of dried fruit packed inside and the lovely yellow colour. I headed off to Warrens website to find out a bit more and learned that it actually is made with real saffron using a traditional, 100-year-old Cornish recipe. They explain the history of the cake : "The making of the legendary Saffron cake is said to date back to the days when Phoenician traders exchanged spices and other goods for the tin from the Cornish mines. The spice ‘Saffron’ was added to give flavour to bread and cakes. Saffron is dried stigmas from the flower Crocus Sativus. To say it is expensive is a slight understatement, with only the best La Mancha Saffron from Spain used in Warrens Saffron Cake." Oooh impressive !


It tastes a bit like hot cross buns or a good quality fruit loaf. The high fruit content makes it sweet and moist and we all loved it, both toasted and cold, with butter or honey. I used to spend all my childhood holidays in Cornwall but Saffron Cake totally passed me by (unlike the pasties - yum !) so I'm pleased to have dicovered it now.

It is pricey but that's down to the saffron. 

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £5.75 for 655g

for more information : http://www.warrensbakery.co.uk/


Disclosure : I received a Saffron Cake in a hamper of goodies designed to help get us involved in Farmhouse Breakfast Week a few weeks ago. I blogged about our breakfasts and shared recipes throughout the week, and am now catching up reviewing the things I didn't have time to feature during those seven days !

Other reviews you may be interested in :




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...