Wednesday 17 July 2013

Book review : Angel - L.A. Weatherly


Angel Fever, the epic final installment of L.A. Weatherly's Angel trilogy, will be released in just a couple of weeks and excitement is reaching fever pitch amongst the fans on social media. As I'd missed out on the first two episodes, it was time to do some catching up and the lovely people at Usborne sent me through this fabulous pack, including all three of the books.

I have to admit, when I heard about a trilogy featuring angels, I wasn't hugely inspired. I like my fictional heroes to be realistically imperfect because their faults and foibles are what helps me to identify and empathise with them. I thought a pure, perfect celestial being would be far too goody-two-shoes to hold my interest for long. I needn't have worried. L.A. Weatherley has turned convention on its head and the angels in her books are actually the bad guys. The angels' world is dying so they have started coming down to our world, where they feed off human energy. When a human is "touched" by an angel, they will be wonderfully happy and grateful, thinking that they have been blessed by the heavenly being, but the angelburn will actually make them ill, causing anything from cancer or AIDS to mental illness.

Most people can't see the angels, until they are fed upon or if the angels choose to adopt their human form, but there are a few AK's - Angel Killers - who work with CIA tip-offs to kill the angelic invaders. An angel's halo is its heart and a bullet straight through the halo will shatter it into a million particles of light. When AK Alex is sent on a mission to eradicate Willow, he will learn that she is not like all the other angels and, in fact, she could turn out to be an unlikely ally.

Their hair-raising roadtrip across America leaves them fighting for their lives and fighting against their growing feelings for each other. It's a fast-paced mix of action and romance, with an added dose of the paranormal, which had me totally hooked. Both Willow and Alex are in their teens so the series will appeal to the young adult fiction market, but even as a 40-year-old woman, I loved it and have gone straight on to read Angel Fire, the second book in the trilogy. Watch this space to find out what I thought of that one !

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £5.99

  • Paperback: 506 pages
  • Publisher: Usborne Publishing Ltd (1 Oct 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1409521966
  • ISBN-13: 978-1409521969




Disclosure : I received a review copy of the book.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

Book review : The Double Life of Cora Parry - Angela McAllister

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...