Wednesday 8 April 2015

Globecooking recipe : Hasselback Potatoes (Sweden)

 
I've been wanting to try hasselback potatoes for a while but two things put me off. The first was that they looked fiddly and the second was that I was pretty sure that once I'd made them, nobody would want regular baked potatoes ever again ! Well, they are actually dead easy to prepare but I think I'm right about the second bit ! I didn't realise that this is a Swedish dish - they are also known as Swedish roast potatoes.
 
 
Take some medium-sized, unpeeled potatoes and make lots of slits a few millimetres apart without cutting right through. My top tip (which I think I picked up from Nigella Lawson originally) is putting the potato on the bowl of a wooden spoon to cut it. This stops it rolling around and also prevents you from cutting right the way through.
 
 
Place the potatoes in an ovenproof dish.
 
 
Melt some butter in the microwave and add a glug of olive oil. Brush over the top of each potato.
 
 
Bake for about an hour overall, depending on the size of the potatoes. They will fan open as they cook so take them out of the oven and brush more of the butter/oil mixture over the top several times, making sure it gets in between the slits.
 
These are half-way between roast and baked potatoes so you could serve them as an accompaniment to a meat dish or as a main meal, with your favourite baked potato toppings. Sprinkled with some rock salt, they're delicious.
 
*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! *** 

15 comments:

  1. Oh they are really easy! I thought they'd be fiddly too. Shall have to try them now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look like they take a lot of effort but they really don't !

      Delete
  2. What a great way to do potatoes will give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to do potatoes will give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had those before but didn't know how to make them....They look very tasty :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew they were Swedish, for some reason I thought they were German, maybe I mixed them with Hessian, lol I tried them a few times, they are lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name always akes me think of David Hasselhoff ! Pierre called them hedgehog potatoes, which is cute !

      Delete
  6. wow who knew potatoes could look cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look pretty - definitely one to impress the in laws with ! lol

      Delete
  7. Never heard of these before but they look great! Will be trying them out on my lot soon x

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look fantastic and the wooden spoon idea is perfect. I am definitely going to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had only vaguely heard of these and didn't really know what they were. Now that you have explained it so clearly I will have a go at these. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look great and as you say not too fiddly, a nice change to traditional roasters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did these for tea tonight and everyone loved them! We had them with a ham salad, good to mix things up and try new things. Thank you for the idea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them - I think I might have to make some more of these at the weekend too :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...