Tuesday 15 March 2016

It's the tuck of the Irish ! : the Irish Kitchen Trotter box


This month's Kitchen Trotter has arrived and, just in time for St Patrick's Day, it's an Irish-themed box. 


This one was stuffed full of big boxes and packets - some flapjacks, an Irish soda bread mix and some scrummy-looking biscuit bites.


There were also a trio of jars - Ballymaloe Original Relish, Irish Mist Honey and Marmalade with Irish Whisky.


There was also a sachet of Irish Spice Mix - a blend of thyme, rosemary, garlic, fennel, white pepper and chilli.


The souvenir gadget was an "It's My Lucky Day" magnet/bottle opener which has found its place on the fridge door, amongst our other globetrotting magnets and stickers !

So, what comes to mind when you think of Irish recipes? Irish stew ? Beef in Guinness pie? Potato Cakes? Well, I was wrong on all counts !


First up is Marmalade Glazed Carrots.


Next is Irish Veal Stew. (Sounds like Irish Stew to me, but I think that's usually made with lamb.)


Baileys Cheesecake with Chocolate Sauce. Ooh that sounds rather nice !


And finally, Traditional Soda Bread with Relish. I'd never thought about what soda bread actually is or where it gets its name from but it's a traditional bread made with bicarbonate of soda rather than yeast apparently.

It all sounds quite homely this time, with nothing too out of the ordinary - just a few twists on things that we already eat, so I'll be keen to see how they come out.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely box! Since both my brother and Sash were born on the 17th of March, we claim to be half-Irish. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read somewhere that everyone is Irish on St Patrick's Day ! :)

      Delete
  2. Irish mist honey sounds poetic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to make soda bread as my partner is Irish and I import Tayto Crisps!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never eaten soda bread so I have no idea what the texture is supposed to be like. I'll be making this next week so fingers crossed ! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...