Saturday 2 July 2016

Madhouse recipe : Banana & Coconut Flapjacks



I've seen so many blogposts and social media rants about Brexit lately, with both sides as passionate and self-righteous and quite frequently aggressive as the other, that it was a breath of fresh air to read Dominic at Belleau Kitchen's take on it becase it focused on ... banoffee flapjacks ! I often make banana bread but I'm still on a mission to use up my glut of porridge oats so this sounded like a great combination. I took an awful lot of liberties though so make sure you head over and check out his original recipe

 Banana & Coconut Flapjacks

ingredients :

175g butter
125g coconut sugar
125g golden demerera sugar
3 tablespoons golden syrup
3 tablespoons honey
1 banana 
250g jumbo oats
50g dessicated coconut


Put the oats and dessicated coconut in a large bowl.
  

Add the banana, chopped into large chunks.


I'm still getting to grips with coconut flour and coconut sugar but I thought it worked really well in this recipe. It has a slightly "grittier" texture than brown sugar but has a similar flavour and sweetness and it created a smooth caramel with the demerera sugar and butter.


Put both sugars, the butter, honey and golden syrp in a saucepan and melt over a low heat, stirring continually. Pour it into the oats mixture.


Stir it all up and press into a greased tray. Make sure the banana chunks are evenly spread out.
  

Bake for 20 minutes at 180°. Cut into squares while still warm but leave to cool before removing to a plate.


They're beautifully gooey and moist and the chunks of molten banana give them a surprising softness.


I was impresed at how well they held together too, which isn't always the case with flapjacks.


I'm adding this to the #KitchenClearout linky because it used up some more of my stash of oats, as well as half a bag of coconut sugar.

Link up your recipe of the week


8 comments:

  1. These looks fab, my flapjacks are always a bit boring and crunchy so I think the banana would really help. Thanks, Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely - they're the best flapjacks I've ever tasted !

      Delete
  2. They look amazing and of course I know how good they taste. Love your additions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you approve - I bookmarked the recipe as soon as I saw it ! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh I've not tried this flavour
    Going to have a go -they look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! i won a small mountain of granola. Wonder if this would work in place of the oats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely would - it would just give them a crunchier texture

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...